Sunday, November 21, 2010

Title - Cassie draws the universe
Author - P. S. Baber
Genre - Adult/Fiction
Pages - 444

Description (from goodreads)
Cassie Harper is a disillusioned high school senior who is daily losing ground in a battle against her own nihilistic inclinations. When a beautiful new girl from California comes to town and attempts to befriend a reluctant Cassie, the two unlikely companions find common ground in a shared sorrow.
Cassie lives with her mother and grandmother in a dilapidated house in a nameless Kansas town, where she is haunted nightly by dreams of a father who died before she was born. Amy Cole has just moved from California, where she recently lost her mother and brother in a car accident. When Amy finally breaks down the walls of Cassie's self imposed solitude, the girls band together to avoid the common end of all high school students: inexorable assimilation into an increasingly empty and incomprehensible world. But as Amy and Cassie attempt to outrun fate, their pursuit will be cut short by an unexpected adversary, leading Cassie to devise a chilling and unimaginable revenge.

Thoughts
Cassie Draws the Universe is a gritty and thought-provoking novel. Although sometimes, this is not always appreciated. While the story is fine, the overuse of large words and literary vocab could turn away alot of readers, especially if they dont carry a dictionary with them or own an Ereader with
one built in. The storys chapters always start off (most of them) with an exerpt from Cassies notebook, it was a nice way to start off a new chapter and i enjoyed the stories and poems very much.
LunaMoth loves trees!

Cassie, the main charactor, is anti-social, impersonal and I really did not like her for most of the book. She started off Ok, but then she got annoying with her cynisism and bad attitude, by the end though I started to really like her again. The other main player in this novel, Amy, I liked far better. She was someone you wanted to know, kind, smart, pretty but not self-serving. Thier friendship is really complexing, It reminded me of an episode of Gilmore Girls, alot of banter and debate. I could not for the life of me imagine two teenage girls sitting and seriously debateing topics like God, semantics and the ways of life.
By the end of the book I had similtaniously hated, loved, and respected P. S. Babers writing style and makeing me think, and question things I had never thought to question before. Younger readers beware: There is quite abit of swearing, sex and violence but it all comes together to work with the development of the story.

4 Comments:

  1. Kristina Barnes♥ said...
    Cassie seems a lot like me (though I hope you don't dislike me, haha!) and is pretty much the reason why I want to pick this book up. I want to see how I can differ or relate to her.

    I enjoy when authors utilize their vocabulary. Reading the synopsis sent me into little fits of joy - it's been so long since I've read something that incorporated more than just basic english.

    So, yeah, I think I might pick this one up! :) Thanks for the review. <3!
    Unknown said...
    Oh my, I have never heard of this one. But what a crazy wonderful great review.

    We do need those novels that make us pick at our brains and wonder. My dear it looks like you might have found a unique gem.

    I must say that is one beautiful button you have there! ;)

    Mad Scientist
    http://madsteampunkery.blogspot.com
    Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...
    I've noticed that very few readers are willing to "work" very hard at their reading, even if they think the book is too long. Ugh.

    Do you think this book would be appropriate for your high school students? (9th, 10th graders?) or because of the sex it should be directed to older teens?
    LunaMoth said...
    I would say older teens. there is a rape scene (nothing in detail) but there are other sexual acts and lots of swearing. So definatly older teens

Post a Comment



UA-55586018-1