Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Review - City of Bones

City of Bones
Author - Cassandra Clare
Genre - YA/Paranormal
Pages - 485
ISBN - 1416914285

When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder - much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing - not even a smear of blood - to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?
This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know....


I had put off reading this book for so long, now I wish I had read it sooner!

City of bones on the surface looks like your typical teen fluff story, but it actually has some nice twists, angst, a bit of love and action.

Clary our main character, happens upon a group of people attacking a boy at a club, however she is supposed to see none of this since she is a mundie (a human with no powers) This is what leads her into the world of demons and shadow hunters (those who hunt demons)

There is alot of info to take in, sometimes it felt overwhelming to me, as soon as i grasped the concept of one thing, another concept came up and confused it all again for me, however it didnt make me want to stop reading the book (warning, it is a long book and there is a bit of swearing and innuendos) The author also uses a bit too much analogies, some pages you had 5 or 6 'likes' or 'as ifs' and it took away from the story.

Lets talk characters. Clary: Can i smack her? she is whiney, petulant, self-depreciating and she never really grew during the book. She is constantly comparing herself to Isabelle, to the point where I was comparing myself to her and feeling bad. No love for Clary! She never redeems herself in my eyes. The others though, I had love for. Jace is strong and determined, Alec was funny and charming, Isabelle was initially mean and cruel but she grew on me and she became like a big sister to Clary. clarys friend Simon was a special kid too, even after he gets dissed by Jace and Alec and Clary treats him poorly because he was hanging with Isabelle he still came and helped her (his love for her notwithstanding) he was truely a great friend.

There are many twists in the plot line and I truely never saw the big one coming, it never crossed my mind. There are also some nice sweet moments and some good magical moments, The bad guy is bad and the good guys.. well, youll have to see! There is even I think (hope) a little homage to Holly Blacks Valiant in there for a few sentances, and yes, i squeed when I read it. Pick up this book, borrow it from the library or a friend, just make sure you read it!

4 Comments:

  1. Lisa said...
    I was never a huge fan of Clary in the first two books. I agree she was whiny and self-absorbed, but I did love Jace.
    DT said...
    Clary gets better later on in the series. Yes Jace is fun! I love some of his one-liners.

    Glad you liked it. Are you planning on reading the rest?

    http://www.deadtreesandsilverscreens.blogspot.com
    LunaMoth said...
    Yup i have the rest in my kindle waiting =)
    Sally@Always Lost in Stories said...
    I love this series. Jace has some great one-liners, so funny!

Post a Comment



UA-55586018-1