Thursday, January 6, 2011

Review - Mockingjay


Information
Title - Mockingjay (Hunger Games book 3)
Author - Suzanne Collins
Genre - Dystopian/YA
Pages - 400
Format Read - Ebook

Description (goodreads)

Young Katniss Everdeen has survived the dreaded Hunger Games not once, but twice, but even now she can find no relief. In fact, the dangers seem to be escalating: President Snow has declared an all-out war on Katniss, her family, her friends, and all the oppressed people of District 12. The thrill-packed final installment of Suzanne Collins' Hunger Games trilogy will keep young hearts pounding

Thoughts

I adored the first two books, and i was hoping the last book would be just as good.
It wasn't
Thats not to say it was bad, it certainly was interesting and held my attention. However, it did not have the same raw emotions as the first two.

Katniss is still Katniss, shes now in district 13 with the rebels while Snow is declaring war on all districts. 13 is the kind of place i would like to live in, its underground but spacious. I liked the times spent in district 13. We even get Peeta back, though hes a bit damanged.

Its when Katniss and group form the plan to go to the capital the book goes downhill. The action is fine in the book and i did enjoy it, however to rate of how the others die when the group infiltrates the capital is a dissapointment. Its too many too soon so you dont really get the emotion that you do like when Katniss was in the Games.

The ending, well.. it sucked to put it mildly. Sure it was sweet but we never really get to know what happens to Gale, Polux, Katniss' Mother or any number of other people i happened to like more then Katniss this time around. The book just did now allow for a good, fleshed out ending, or even Epilogue. I still do recommend the first two books immensly, and you should read Mockingjay to close the series, but do not expect to be wowed like you would be with the first two

3 Comments:

  1. Two Bibliomaniacs said...
    Yikes – I’m still coming off a high from book one. I hope to start book 2 starts next week. I may have to temper my enthusiasms before I get to book 3...
    Kristina Barnes♥ said...
    I was horribly disappointed/devastated by Mockingjay. It's why I haven't reviewed it, or Catching Fire. In fact, I can't pinpoint exactly WHY Mockingjay disappointed me - there were way too many things to list. It didn't feel as epic as the first two books, I hated the ending, Katniss' awesomeness dropped down a notch, the ending sucked (I'm not Team Gale, but I would have liked to know what happened with him as well. And I'm not happy with the Katniss/Peeta ending. I did not suffer through a damn love triangle just to have it end that way), the very reason Katniss joined the Hunger Games freaking died. Oh yeah, whoever reads my comment: spoiler alert. The ending was abrupt and wasn't that conclusive to all the emotional drainage we had to endure in the first two books. And really, wtf, did that NEED to happen to Finnick? Honestly? There was no point to it because to make the readers (and Katniss, if it's possible) more distraught than they already were. The ending is probably why I would rate the book possibly a 3 or 2. And which is why I won't review Mockingjay, because The Hunger Games and Catching Fire were really good. UGH Mockingjay angst.

    Anyway, great review - you gave Mockingjay more credit than I would have. I read it freaking two months ago and I'm still fuming/mad/disappointed as heck. ><
    Unknown said...
    Great review. I agree with you about the ending, it felt a bit lacking. I also got a bit annoyed over Katniss's whiny attitude in this one, she didn't seem like the same fighter she did in the first two.

Post a Comment



UA-55586018-1