Thursday, December 13, 2012

Review - Witchling

Witchling
Author - Yasmine Galenorn
Series - Sisters of the Moon #1
Genre - Urban Paranormal
Pages - 304


Description from Goodreads 

We’re the D’Artigo sisters: Half-human, half-Faerie, we’re savvy—and sexy—operatives for the Otherworld Intelligence Agency. But our mixed-blood heritage short-circuits our talents at all the wrong times. My sister Delilah shapeshifts into a tabby cat whenever she’s stressed. Menolly’s a vampire who’s still trying to get the hang of being undead. And me? I’m Camille—a wicked-good witch. Except my magic’s as unpredictable as the weather, as my enemies are about to find out the hard way...

 At the Wayfarer Inn, a portal to Otherworld and the local hangout for humans and beasties alike, a fellow operative, Jocko, has been murdered. Every clue points to Shadow Wing, the soul-munching, badass leader of the Subterranean Realms. He’s made it clear that he aims to raze humankind to the ground, turning both Earth and Otherworld into his private playground. Our assignment: Keep Shadow Wing and his minions from creeping into Earth via the Wayfarer. The demons figure they’re in like Flynn. After all, with only my bumbling sisters and me standing in the way, how can they miss? But we’ve got a secret for them: Faulty wiring or not, nobody kicks ass like the D’Artigo girls...


It took me quite a few years of this sitting in my kindle before I actually gave this series a shot, I should not have waited so long! The story and world building where great and it had this magical, quest-like feeling to it even though its not an epic fantasy. 

Camille is a witch, her sisters Menolly (vampire) and Delilah (werecat) are all operatives for an organization called the OIA (I forgot what it stands for) so they live Earthside with the humans. Though they are originaly from the Otherworld were elves, dwarfs, dragons and such live. They have been making it pretty good earthside too since humans know about them they have been living in relative harmony. That is, until some serious bad juju goes down. 

So now the must find the 9 seals to stop Shadow Wing (a very bad demon) from destroying everthing. With the help of a FBH (full-blooded human) and Yokai Kitsune and a few other helpful helpers, they start on their ‘quest’ and hopefully do not get killed.

 I liked the characters although most of them did not really get described personality wise, which I hope gets remedied in the next book, I would have liked to know background and emotions and feelings of more of the characters than just Camille and even then there’s not too much there, but I am not complaining too badly it is still a kick butt book.

 Speaking of, there is action in this novel, of both kinds, there are fights and there are rather steamy situations so be warned if you are squeamish about such things, though few and far between they are there.

3 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
    Unknown said...
    Thanks for stopping by and commenting. I loved my Sister's Keeper and you should read it to see the differences for yourself. I always hate to see a movie before I read the book, but I did it backwards this time and was so surprised by the differences!
    Happy Reading!
    Beth ;D
    Dazzling Mage said...
    I haven't heard of this book either, but it sounds awesome!

    Great review!

Post a Comment



UA-55586018-1