Thursday, November 1, 2012

Review - The Iron Knight

The Iron Knight
Author - Julie Kagawa
Series - Iron Fey #4
Genre - YA Fantasy
Pages - 394

Description From Goodreads 

"My name--my True Name--is Ashallayn' darkmyr Tallyn. I am the last remaining son of Mab, Queen of the Unseelie Court. And I am dead to her. My fall began, as many stories do, with a girl..."To cold faery prince Ash, love was a weakness for mortals and fools. His own love had died a horrible death, killing any gentler feelings the Winter prince might have had. Or so he thought.

 Then Meghan Chase--a half human, half fey slip of a girl--smashed through his barricades, binding him to her irrevocably with his oath to be her knight. And when all of Faery nearly fell to the Iron fey, she severed their bond to save his life. Meghan is now the Iron Queen, ruler of a realm where no Winter or Summer fey can survive.

 With the unwelcome company of his archrival, Summer Court prankster Puck, and the infuriating cait sith Grimalkin, Ash begins a journey he is bound to see through to its end--a quest to find a way to honor his vow to stand by Meghan's side.

To survive in the Iron Realm, Ash must have a soul and a mortal body. But the tests he must face to earn these things are impossible. And along the way Ash learns something that changes everything. A truth that challenges his darkest beliefs and shows him that, sometimes, it takes more than courage to make the ultimate sacrifice


This installment of the Iron Fey series takes on the voice of Ash, the former winter prince. He is on a quest to figure out how to be with Meghan, the newly appointed Iron Queen and boy, is he in for an adventure!

 Puck and Grimalkin accompany him on his quest, as does the big bad wolf and another surprising person. The action is not very prevelant in this addition, and I did find myself skipping some pages, specifically near the end (about 70% through) there was a whole chapter that I just did not feel belonged in the story, sure it made sense but, was boring.

 Ash was a good character to tell the story, though I think if it were in Pucks voice it would have been a bit funnier, or perhaps less angsty. Puck really shines though and I gotta say, the big bad wolf was my favorite character in this book. Grimalkin also improved, I really think Ash was my least favorite, I just do not like the brooding winter fey as much as I used to and I’m glad he got his good ending but really, I found I did not care if he did or not throughout the book.

 Don’t get me wrong, the book needs to be read but compared to the last book, which had me bawling at the end, this was just.. okay.

2 Comments:

  1. Lisa said...
    I liked the banter between Puck, Grimalkin and Ash in this novel. It was kind of like a road trip in fantasy land.
    Amber Elise said...
    That's funny because I actually felt the opposite. I thought that Iron Knight was better than Iron Queen and almost started bawling my eyes at the last few chapters of The Iron Knight.

    Great review nevertheless!

    Amber Elise @ Du Livre

Post a Comment



UA-55586018-1