Sunday, December 5, 2010

Title - The Miracle Inspector
Author - Helen Smith
Genre - Fiction/Dystopian
Pages - 250

Description (from amazon)
A darkly comic literary novel set in the near future. England has been partitioned and London is an oppressive place where poetry has been forced underground, theatres and schools are shut, and women are not allowed to work outside the home. A young couple, Lucas and Angela, try to escape from London - with disastrous consequences.

Thoughts
I do not read Dystopian work much but i was pleasantly suprised by The Miracle Inspector. The first half of the book however, has quite a bit of swearing and sexual content, the second half is more tame and i found i enjoyed the second half far more.

The two main charactors are Angela and her husband Lucas. Lucas rubbed me the wrong way all through the book, he came off as rude, sexist and a bit not all right in the head. Though i did like how he loved his wife very much and even tried to get her gifts (though even these came with alterior motives). Angela was my favorite, she was soft but not stupid, she was a bit brave and caring. Angela had the biggest journey out of both of them, and i liked her story way more then Lucas'.

The ending was rather sad, and i enjoyed the journey up to it. There is no romance per say, no real adventure or action, its more a book to make you think, or a light read. Like i said, i was pleasantly suprised I liked this book as much as i did, and i hope Smith comes out with more books, be they dystopian or not.

1 Comment:

  1. Kristina Barnes♥ said...
    Hmm, I enjoy books that make me think AND light reads. I'm kind of tempted to read this now. You always feature books that I've never even heard of, so I'm glad that you bring them to my attention. <3 Great review. <3

Post a Comment



UA-55586018-1