Saturday, October 13, 2012

Review - Nightlife

Nightlife
Author - Rob Thurman
Series - Cal Leandros #1
Genre - Urban Paranormal
Pages - 339



Description from Goodreads 

There are monsters among us. There always have been and there always will be. I’ve known that since I can remember, just like I’ve always known I was one ... Well, half of one, anyway

. Welcome to New York City - a troll under the Brooklyn Bridge, a boggle in Central Park, and a beautiful vampire in a penthouse on the Upper East Side. Most humans are oblivious to the preternatural nightlife around them, but Cal Leandros is only half human.

 His father’s dark lineage is the stuff of nightmares – and his entire otherworldly elf race are after Cal. His half brother, Niko, gave up college to keep them on the run for four years, but now the Grendel monsters are back. And Cal is about to learn why they want him. He is the key to unleashing their hell on earth. The fate of the human world will be decided in the fight of Cal’s life..


Nightlife starts off narrated by Cal (Caliban) a half human/half Grendel and his brother Niko. What is a Grendel? A monster, an ugly, mean and vicious little beast. Cal and Niko have been running from Grendels for a very long time, but this time is different. Everything changes for them and now they are fighting for their lives, and the lives of the entire world

. The author did a pretty good job with the book, this being her first. There were a few hiccups here and there, some characters were mentioned, but came and went and I wanted more. The female characters especially, the only one the author spends any true time on was Meredith and that wasn’t anything special. I wanted to know more about George and Promise, perhaps in the next book we will but in this one the females were stinted at best.

Now the male characters? They had personality, sure it’s a bit cookie-cutter, Niko is too perfect in body, mind and spirit but hes a terrific older brother and when he cut his hair I was devastated, when I found out why, I broke down and cried. Cal is a punk, not the cool kind with mohawks but hes sort of the ‘I don’t care, lazy, world-beaten’ type. He acted like his life was one big burden, sure I get hes been running but have a little enthusiasm and stop being so sarcastic! Robin was an interesting character as well, a little sex crazed and arrogant but hes a good guy at heart. I want to know more about him as well as Rafferty and Chaser.

 Besides Niko and Cal the other characters just fell short on backstory or description. However, I did fully enjoy this book, while not having an abundance of action it did keep me interested and entertained and I do look forward to when I start the next book (more George please?!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



UA-55586018-1