Saturday, October 20, 2012

Review - Storm Front

Storm Front
Author - Jim Butcher
Series - The Dresden Files #1
Genre - Urban Paranormal
Pages - 322


Description From Goodreads 

The novels of the Dresden Files have become synonymous with action-packed urban fantasy and non-stop fun. Storm Front is Jim Butcher's first novel and introduces his most famous and popular character-Harry Dresden, wizard for hire.

For his first case, Harry is called in to consult on a grisly double murder committed with the blackest of magic. At first, the less-than-solvent Harry's eyes light up with dollar signs. But where there's black magic, there's a black mage. Now, that black mage knows Harry's name. And things are about to get very...interesting.



While texting my friend and talking about books, he mentioned the Dresden Files. I had seen the first episode on Netflix and liked it so I decided to give it a shot at his behest.

What can I really say about the book? I did not love it, but I did not dislike it either. It was sort of a middle ground for me, a solid 3 stars. The idea of a magical p.i… overdone. However, the book did keep me interested enough to finish it. Harry Dresden (I will not say his full name, it’s too long) is a wizard, the only wizard in his area, unfortunately he is broke. Because of this he decides to take a case from Monica Sells, her husband is missing. It is this plus the inclusion of a case from the cops that send Harry on a harrowing nightmare of cat and mouse for his life.

Alright, I made that sound better than it actually is. The book is quite stagnant. Nothing really happens, there is action but its pretty one-note. Harry gets his butt kicked, he gets out of bad situation by use of magic, rinse and repeat. Have I mentioned the other characters? No? well, you are not missing much. None of the other characters I really cared for. Not to say they are bad, they are just one-dimensional.

The love interest only comes on scene for a few pages and then disappears until the end, I forgot to also mention how dreadfully bad Harry is with women, Dreadfully. Freaking. Bad. I could go on and on, and I want to but ill end it now, Ill read the next book and possibly the rest, I just hope they get better. Although I heard the second one is the worst, I really hope I can get past it and get to the good stuff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



UA-55586018-1